Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Rt. 66 and the Hoover Dam

Rt. 66 ain't all it's cracked up to be, at least the part I saw. Once "America's Main Street," it exists now only in small stretches here and there, parts of which I drove yesterday.

I came across this old school gas station which is now just a Rt. 66 souvenir shop. Fun in a kitschy kind of way, like many things in America. Like Graceland.

And then I went to the Hoover Dam in the middle of the tourist season in 120 degree heat, so you don't have to. Feel free to thank me at any time.

I wanted to go on a tour just to see if the guides really do ask "Now are there any dam questions?" To which I would have replied, "Yeah, where can I get some damn beer?"

But alas, the tour was $11 and the wait was an hour long, so I made like a shepherd and got the flock out of there.

No? How about this one:

What did the fish say when it hit the wall?

"Dam!"

4 comments:

The Summer Camp Chef said...

Scott...

Random question about your blog...

How come some of the pictures you can double click to see them enlarged and some you can't?

By the way... Lee is helping Adam and Alex with the Ocky Drama movie... it's going to be sweet.

Ready for this...

"The Wizzard of Ock"

I'm glad to finally have an artistic eye back on the case since you passed the torch. He's even free in the evenings to assist with the editing... not that I need assisting (pat my own back)... but it'll be fun.

Are you going to hit "Four Corners"?


Be good... and stay hydrated.

www.killykill.com

Valerie O'Shea said...

^ thanks you.

Anonymous said...

Get your kicks on Route 66 - or not. Somehow Mom and I missed that, but we did make the Hoover Dam. Pretty dam impressive. (Sorry.)
We didn't think Lake Mead was all that exciting, and if that's the best they can do for beaches, they're in trouble, but I guess when you're used to the desert all the time, Lake Mead is pretty good.

Scott @ I Thought They Said Rum said...

Not sure about the picture issue. They're always the same size when I upload them.

Won't hit four corners since I'm already well past it and saw it when I was 17 anyway.

Have a great time with Ocky drama. At least Lee might be able to keep Alex in line somewhat.