Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Chicago, part deux


Chicago hit me the way Portland did: I completely, unexpectedly fell in love with it. I could spend weeks there going to shows, sporting events, bars, restaurants, etc. But as I keep telling myself on this roadtrip, I can't see everything. Three days will have to last me for now.

I spent those three days at Annika's place, a friend from IES Berlin '01. She was an excellent tourguide, pointing out facts and anecdotes about architecture, public spaces, neighborhoods, etc. that I never would have discovered on my own. She spoke reverentially of the demigod Richard M. Daly, who apparently has done wonders for the city during his tenure as mayor.

All told, she's probably the most sophisticated person I know.

Which is why I wish I hadn't said "see you in the funny pages" when I left this morning. I blame it on the early hour (6:30am), but really? That's the best I can come up with? Who knows if I'll ever see this girl again and that is the last thing I'll ever have said to her?

Every yin needs its yang, I suppose.

I'll close this post with two more pictures of the Windy City.

Atop the Sears Tower, tallest building in North America

Annika with our deep dish pizza at the original Pizzeria Uno (we had to wait an hour in the rain for this).

3 comments:

Annika said...

Don't worry about it. I wasn't awake enough to take any offense. And anyhow, I'm German. We're not made out of porcelain, remember?

I'm glad you enjoyed Chicago and that I was at least able to convert you a little. It's a fabulous city and I feel continuously lucky to get to live here.

Have a safe trip onward!

LukisWeb said...

YES! CHICAGO! The best city ever! It is my favorite city, and one day I plan to move back! How did you like the Pizza? I've never been to either of the two there, they are always too busy. Hope you enjoyed the city!

Scott @ I Thought They Said Rum said...

The pizza was great, made even better by the long wait in the rain. I hadn't eaten since 11am and it was now around 7pm, so it was such a relief to sit in a warm, dry booth and have a local beer and a really big pizza.