Monday, June 25, 2007

On national parks


I reckon America is the only place in the world where you can descend nearly a thousand feet below the surface of the earth in a cave system that outdoes the cathedrals of Europe in size and sheer grandeur... and find a damn gift shop and snack bar at the bottom.


I understand that Americans adore our conveniences, but this is taking it too far.

I later went to the White Sands National Monument, hundreds of square miles of pure sand dunes. Carved out of the dunes were dozens of miles of road, with bathrooms, picnic tables and barbecue grills interrupting the landscape everywhere.


Ruins the landscape, in my opinion.

At least I got some cool pictures.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving all these action shots!

Anonymous said...

Why not a snack bar in a cavern? There's a pay phone at the bottom of the Grand Canyon and you can take a bus ride through the "wilderness" at Yosemite. I bet there's a Wifi connection somewhere in Death Valley.

Valerie O'Shea said...

national parks are da bomb diggity. Did you buy that National Park pass thing? I'm not sure how many parks you're going to, but it can save you mad money. It's like $80 something, but if you have the receipts from all the places you've been thus far, they'll deduct it.
just a thought. :)